It doesn't look like the Lark Sparrow (another ground nester) nest I found in my bean field this year.

Andrew
Columbia MO

***************************************
Andrew M. Scaboo
Assistant Research Professor
Soybean Breeding and Genetics

University of Missouri
Division of Plant Sciences
1-31 Agriculture Building
Columbia, MO 65211

Office Room: Agriculture Building 1-55
Office Phone: (573) 882-3462
Email: [log in to unmask]

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Melissa R <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hey all,

I've had many years of experience nest searching now and LOVE trying to ID unknown nests, so I'll throw out my thoughts.

Chickadees are true cavity nesters and this nest looks like it's an open-cup nest so that rules out chickadee. Carolina Wren seems like a good possibility since the nest is really messy and bulky. The eggs aren't quite as heavily marked as other CARW nests that I've seen but egg markings/coloration can be variable.

Do you have any other photos that are further away from the nest? So we could get a feel for how bad the nest/eggs are and the general location/habitat.

Thanks! And cool nest!
Melissa Roach
Farmington, MO

Melissa Roach