We observed 8 Least Tern young on the barge in Teal Pond today, July
4, 2017. All 8 young were inside the fencing of the barge. They were
all mostly tan in coloration. 2 were very small and hiding under
driftwood and being patiently fed. 3 other youngsters were jumping up
and down on a wood plank near the edge of the barge. Another was
hiding between two railroad ties. Yet another was appearing and
reappearing near the hideaway wooden structure. We think there are
more and that one adult is on eggs.
We counted 27 adults in the area - 16 were together on a small island
across the road from the barge, 4 were on buoys, 5 were on the barge
(we were careful not to count decoys) and 2 were in flight. We noticed
much mating display still going on as well as actual mating.
We are going to try to piece together a video of the young on the
barge and post it later. It will probably be poor quality, but this is
exciting and worth seeing even in poor quality.

Andy Reago
St. Louis MO