I spent an hour this morning walking the area where I heard the "haunting
call."  I heard/saw 23 species (mostly heard), including three
mimids--mockingbird, brown thrasher, and starling.  Nothing I heard sounded
like what I heard on Thursday afternoon.  So, unless I hear the call again
and can track it down, here's my best guess.  The voice quality was richer,
but the call pattern was very similar to the second option in the Audubon
Birds app's Voice options for Sora.  Also, there's a small creek winding
through the low area that I was unaware of but found this morning.  My best
guess is that one of the mimids learned the Sora call at some point, maybe
even right there in the neighborhood during migration.  And I heard him
practice it last Thursday.  Or maybe that's completely wrong.

(Or one of them wandered out to Arizona and learned the Canyon Wren call.
Ha!)

If I ever solve the riddle, I'll let you know, but the Sora/mimid
speculation is where I'm leaving it until then.  Thank you for all your
input! It's frustrating to wonder with no clear answer, but it's still
birding and thus still fascinating.

Ida Domazlicky
Cape Girardeau County

>Finding this "Haunting call" thread fascinating!

I do remember one bird walk at Forest Park when the best ears on the
walk  followed a strange and intriguing call for a while before we all
saw the Mockingbird!

Bob Bailey, and others who kept me in pratice  with birding by ear
even while I was in the US...I thank you every time I go birding here
in India...and do as much birding by ear as by eye.

Cheers, Deepa-from-Bangalore, India.