The 49th NeMLA Annual Convention
April 12-15, 2018 Pittsburgh, PA

German Literature in Music/Music in German Literature (Panel)

This panel seeks to explore the relationship between literature and music in the German tradition from Bach’s Passions to the Romantic Lied to E.T.A. Hoffmann’s literary imaginations of music to Wagner’s operas to Thomas Mann’s reinvention of 12-tone music in Doktor Faustus to pop music in contemporary literature, to name only a few examples. We welcome contributions from both literary scholars and musicologists. While many questions and theoretical and methodological approaches are possible and encouraged, the main guiding question will be: how does literature affect music, and how does music affect literature? In other words, to what extent do detailed examinations of music in literature influence readings of literature, and vice versa?

We seek papers investigating connections between music and German-language literature. Abstracts on opera, church music, the German Lied, folk songs, music criticism, pop music in contemporary literature, and other topics will be considered.Please submit a 200-300 word abstract here by Sept 30:

https://www.cfplist.com/nemla/Home/S/17017

Thomas Herold (Montclair State University)
Len Cagle (Lycoming College)

--
Thomas Herold
Associate Professor of German