Ida,
I wonder if it was a Carolina wren.  They are apt to have several different calls.
Maybe it will be there tomorrow at the same time.
Larry, in Joplin
Lawrencce Herbert     6-29-17.

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Ida <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I know calls are hard when not heard, but this one was very straightforward and exactly the same each time.  On a musical scale, it was like this: A flat 3 times, G 3x, F sharp 3x, F 3x.  Due to the minor third, it had a melancholy feel to it.  The notes were at a speed of about 2/second.  The voice quality was good, clear, and had no trills or buzzes—a bit like a white-throated sparrow or white-crowned, but lower by about an octave.  It was a haunting call.

The site was as I was waiting for my ride at the Cape Girardeau Lutheran Home about 3:30 p.m.  It came from behind the duplexes to the south at the entrance to the campus, just off Bloomfield Road.  This is an area of small lawns with tall trees behind them (bald cypress, maybe) and a lawn and then concrete behind that.  Of course, the bird quit singing when I walked over there, or I would have recorded it.

I’m hoping this sounds familiar to someone.  Thanks!

Ida Domazlicky
Cape Girardeau County

ASM Fall Meeting: September 22-24, 2017 at Lake of the Ozarks Details and Online Registration

ASM Fall Meeting: September 22-24, 2017 at Lake of the Ozarks Details and Online Registration