Hi MOBirders:

From 9 until close to 3 on Wed I hiked a portion of the Lewis Trail in
Weldon Spring CA; about 6 miles total.  The forest birds were active and
vocal throughout my hike but vocals tapered off some after 1.  A good chunk
of my birding was by ear.  It's been awhile since I hiked that trail and it
was great to eat my lunch at the spectacular overlook of the Missouri River
and Katy Trail.  And from that spot I had the rare opportunity to look down
on a Broad-winged Hawk.

If you go be prepared for mosquitoes.  They were relentless along several
stretches of the trail, especially at lower elevations, but much less so on
the ridge tops and spots exposed to the sun and breeze.

Here's the full list with photos:

Here's a nice audio of forest bird song from one spot on the trail:

http://bit.ly/2sV863h

Mike Thelen
Univ City, StL Cnty, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/