Hello MOBIRDers!!
         We have been having very interesting year at our feeders this spring and I would appreciate your expert input. I work at store specializing in feeding wild birds and we have had a LOT of interesting information coming in from our customers and I am wondering if others across the board are experiencing the same phenomena. Our customer base spans a handful of counties in IL, therefore, we have a fairly large sample size to draw information from. The data we are most interested in are those which are recurrent and somewhat out of the ordinary; specifically the following:

A. Late-Arrival/Lack of Hummingbirds and/or frequent sightings of unusually small, skinny hummingbirds.

B. Surprisingly numerous sightings of uncommon migrants AT FEEDERS; i.e.,  almost ALL of our customers have had Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, many sightings of Indigo Buntings as well, others include Blue-Grosbeak, Pileated Woodpecker, Red-headed Woodpecker (one at my own apt in Alton IL!). We even had one customer who had 6 or 7 male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks incessantly assault her bay window and make a HUGE mess of her patio furniture for at least a week.LOL! (obviously a common occurrence this time of year, especially with Cardinals and Robins, in our area, but that many Grosbeaks for that long? how exciting!)

C. Blackbirds sticking around later as well as uncommon sightings of other insect eaters. Thrashers, Flickers, etc. Or larger birds, Mallards, Teal, Turkeys, etc. (mostly seen foraging under feeders, as is common)

These types of observations are common at our store every year and usually don't raise a feather (pun intended) but we have noted a marked difference this year in the volume and consistency of these occurrences.

This article may be of interest to some of you as well. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/170515091126.htm

I guess in the end this is just to satisfy our own curiosity and fascination with the habits of "our" birds this spring but it seems to me as if this dialogue may have some merit in and of itself perhaps. Citizen science does indeed have benefits after all. :)

Thanks for your time,
Evan Dvorchak :)

ASM Spring Meeting: September 22-24, 2017 at Lake of the Ozarks Details and Online Registration