I birded the Blue Grosbeak Trail Wednesday morning.  There were at least 4 Bell’s Vireos, many Orchard Orioles, a Yellow-warbler, many Chats and one Blue Grosbeak.  And an Alder Flycatcher.

Hopefully the weather will permit this trip.

Mike Grant

Chesterfield, MO

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bob Bailey
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 6:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: SLAS Saturday Field Trip: Blue Grosbeak - Lost Valley

WHAT:     Blue Grosbeak - Lost Valley field trip, half day to about noon, sponsored by St. Louis Audubon Society.

WHEN:    Saturday, May 20

WHERE:   Meet at the parking lot for the Blue Grosbeak Trail, Weldon Spring CA.  Take US 40/I-64 west across the Missouri River to MO-94.  Exit there, turn left, go across the overpass, and proceed about 3/4 of a mile to the first parking lot on your left.  We will car pool from there for the rest of the morning.

MEETING TIME:   6:30 a.m. (that's not a typo)

PLAN:   We will walk in the Blue Grosbeak Trail and look for some of the typical breeding birds of that area: Blue Grosbeak, Bell's Vireo, Orchard Oriole, Yellow Warbler, Yellow-breasted Chat.  We'll then make a pit stop at Busch CA  to the Fallen Oak Trail, seeking possible Pine Warbler, Hooded Warbler, then stop along HWY D to access Weldon Spring Interpretive Center (behind "Mount Doom") to seek possible Henslow's Sparrow, Grasshopper Sparrow, Prairie Warbler, and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, before continuing down 94 to the Lost Valley Trail for various Eastern woodland songbirds.

WHO:   Everyone is welcome, non-members of St. Louis Audubon Society too, beginner or advanced.

CONDITIONS:  Weather.com predicts 90% chance of rain (as of today 5/27). If it is raining and also showing weather radar that looks like rain for a significant portion of the morning, this trip will be cancelled for the day. Please dress appropriately for whatever weather is predicted as we get closer.  Sunscreen, bug spray, water and a snack are good ideas.

TRIP LEADERs: Bob Bailey and other SLAS leaders who often join us for this one.

Bob Bailey

St. Louis, MO

ASM Spring Meeting: September 22-24, 2017 at Lake of the Ozarks Details and Online Registration

ASM Spring Meeting: September 22-24, 2017 at Lake of the Ozarks Details and Online Registration