Yesterday afternoon (5/2/17) I made my first ever visit to Weston Bend State Park (Platte Co.) and birded/hiked along the West Ridge, Missouri River, and Bear Creek Trails. Highlights included two Broad-winged Hawks migrating along the ridge, several Pileated Woodpeckers, three vireo species (Warbling, Red-eyed, and Yellow-throated), about a dozen Wood Thrushes singing along the Missouri River before dusk, 12 warbler species (Ovenbird, Black-and-White, Prothonotary, Orange-crowned, Nashville, Kentucky, Common Yellowthroat, American Redstart, Northern Parula, Yellow, Yellow-rumped, Yellow-throated), Summer and Scarlet Tanagers, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Indigo Buntings, and Baltimore Orioles. A Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and lots of Yellow-rumped Warblers and White-throated Sparrows were still lingering. Several resident species were feeding young and I found one Blue-gray Gnatcatcher nest. The Ovenbirds and American Redstarts were acting territorial.

Good birding,

Eric Hough
Kansas City, MO

Sent from my iPhone