The birds didn’t mind the rain, and Cindy and I got good looks. Sixty-nine species total. New species for our year included Yellow-breasted Chat, Lincoln’s Sparrow, Gray Catbird, Palm Warbler, Spotted Sandpiper, Sora, Forster’s Terns, and Dickcissel. We had wonderful close looks at Sora and three lingering Ross’ Geese.

Here’s the total list:

Otter Slough CA, Stoddard County, Missouri, US

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 AM

Protocol: Traveling

Party Size: 2

Duration: 8 hour(s), 5 minute(s)

Distance: 24.0 mile(s)

Observers: Bruce Beck, Cindy Price

Comments: Rain squalls off and on all day. Wind up to 15 mph from north switching to 10 mph from northeast mid-afternoon.

69 species (+1 other taxa) total

2

Greater White-fronted Goose

65

Snow Goose

3

Ross's Goose

10

Canada Goose

5

Wood Duck

100

Gadwall

1

Mallard

600

Blue-winged Teal

25

Northern Shoveler

5

Green-winged Teal

4

Red-breasted Merganser

2

Ruddy Duck

19

Pied-billed Grebe

11

Double-crested Cormorant

5

Great Blue Heron

60

Great Egret

2

Snowy Egret

1

Northern Harrier

6

Bald Eagle

2

Sora

25

Black-necked Stilt

50

Killdeer

4

Dunlin

6

Least Sandpiper

350

Short-billed/Long-billed Dowitcher

Mixed flocks of mostly long-billed dowitchers and fewer short-billed dowitchers were present in most of the numerous mudflats or were flying back and forth between mudflats. We scoped the flocks several times trying to estimate the numbers of long-billed vs. short-billed dowitchers. The 350 total estimate is conservative.

4

Wilson's Snipe

1

Spotted Sandpiper