The birds didn't mind the rain, and Cindy and I got good looks. Sixty-nine
species total. New species for our year included Yellow-breasted Chat,
Lincoln's Sparrow, Gray Catbird, Palm Warbler, Spotted Sandpiper, Sora,
Forster's Terns, and Dickcissel. We had wonderful close looks at Sora and
three lingering Ross' Geese.

Here's the total list:

Otter Slough CA, Stoddard County, Missouri, US

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 AM

Protocol: Traveling

Party Size: 2

Duration: 8 hour(s), 5 minute(s)

Distance: 24.0 mile(s)

Observers: Bruce Beck, Cindy Price

Comments: Rain squalls off and on all day. Wind up to 15 mph from north
switching to 10 mph from northeast mid-afternoon.

69 species (+1 other taxa) total

2

Greater White-fronted Goose

65

Snow Goose

3

Ross's Goose

10

Canada Goose

5

Wood Duck

100

Gadwall

1

Mallard

600

Blue-winged Teal

25

Northern Shoveler

5

Green-winged Teal

4

Red-breasted Merganser

2

Ruddy Duck

19

Pied-billed Grebe

11

Double-crested Cormorant

5

Great Blue Heron

60

Great Egret

2

Snowy Egret

1

Northern Harrier

6

Bald Eagle

2

Sora

25

Black-necked Stilt

50

Killdeer

4

Dunlin

6

Least Sandpiper

350

Short-billed/Long-billed Dowitcher

Mixed flocks of mostly long-billed dowitchers and fewer short-billed
dowitchers were present in most of the numerous mudflats or were flying back
and forth between mudflats. We scoped the flocks several times trying to
estimate the numbers of long-billed vs. short-billed dowitchers. The 350
total estimate is conservative.

4

Wilson's Snipe

1

Spotted Sandpiper

30

Greater Yellowlegs

150

Lesser Yellowlegs

3

Forster's Tern

8

Mourning Dove

4

Chimney Swift

2

Red-bellied Woodpecker

2

Downy Woodpecker

2

Eastern Phoebe

3

Great Crested Flycatcher

2

White-eyed Vireo

1

Warbling Vireo

4

American Crow

50

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

2

Purple Martin

25

Tree Swallow

50

Barn Swallow

5

Carolina Chickadee

4

Tufted Titmouse

3

Carolina Wren

2

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

1

American Robin

1

Gray Catbird

3

Brown Thrasher

4

Prothonotary Warbler

5

Common Yellowthroat

5

Northern Parula

2

Palm Warbler

10

Yellow-rumped Warbler

1

Yellow-breasted Chat

2

Field Sparrow

3

White-crowned Sparrow

2

Savannah Sparrow

1

Lincoln's Sparrow

2

Swamp Sparrow

2

Eastern Towhee

14

Northern Cardinal

2

Indigo Bunting

6

Dickcissel

400

Red-winged Blackbird

4

Eastern Meadowlark

5

Common Grackle

25

Brown-headed Cowbird

7

American Goldfinch

ASM Spring Meeting: May 5-7, 2017 in Springfield, MO