Coming out of Crowder College's Newton Hall at 7:20 this evening, I saw
a unique encounter.  First, the setting.  Newton Hall is one of the
buildings left from the old Camp Crowder of World War II days.  It has
an architectural feature I have not seen anywhere else.  The second and
third floors have an extension of concrete out into the outdoors that
forms a ledge over a foot wide.  The barn swallows who live around the
building each summer were circling and chirping as they had been when I
went in.  But this time I noticed they were each in turn dive-bombing a
hunkered form on the ledge that juts out from the floor level of the
second story.  As the form rose, I saw that it was a roadrunner.  After
some moments dodging the attacks, the roadrunner flew to a small shed
out from the cafeteria and the bombing target moved with him.  He
hunkered there for awhile, then flew to a wooden fence before return
flight to the original ledge.  When I left, the attacks were still going
on.  It was not apparent by his lunges whether he was only trying to
protect himself or trying to catch a swallow, but he represented some
threat to them, obviously.

      Ronda Sherrill, Neosho (Newton County)