Migration is beginning to pick up steam in Barry County.  Today Margie & I added several first of year birds, including 11 Ovenbirds, 1 Worm-eating, 10 Blue-winged, 5 Kentucky, and 12 Hooded Warblers.  Margie's gifted ears are the key to our success.   She hears the birds long before I do and points me in the right direction.  Most of the warblers were on Sugar Camp Road and Butler Hollow Road in the Mark Twain National Forest.  No Cerulean's yet.  We also added White-eyed and Red-eyed Vireos, Purple Martins, and Brown Thrasher.

We came across two different pairs of Red-shouldered Hawks that were calling back and forth to each other as we spooked them off of their territory.  Both times we hunted for a nest, but came up empty.

Jerry Williams
Republic, Greene County, Mo.