Thirty-four birders enjoyed a beautiful Spring morning, Saturday, April 8th, at Castlewood State Park in south St. Louis County.   We enjoyed a nice variety of early migrants, lingering Winter visitors, and year around residents.  Five warbler species seen included Louisiana Waterthrush, Northern Parula, Yellow-rumped, Yellow-throated, and Black-and-White.   We had a good raptor morning with Cooper's Hawk, Bald Eagle, Red-shouldered, Red-tailed, and long satisfying views at a low-soaring Broad-winged Hawk.   Numerous Fish Crows and Northern Rough-winged Swallows were vocalizing along the Meramec River when we stopped for scope views at the continuing Great Blue Heron rookery and later a perched Belted Kingfisher.   A busy Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and Pileated Woodpecker ended our morning on an enjoyable note!

Thanks to all the St. Louis Audubon leaders that helped with this well-attended trip and to all the birders that contributed to our sightings.  The complete eBird list is below.  The next field trip will be Saturday, April 15th, with Mary Dueren at Creve Coeur's Mallard Lake.

Pat Lueders, Webster Groves, MO

Sent from my iPad