Kathleen Anderson, Janice Gaston and I headed west this weekend and dealt with high winds most of the time. Pape Lake, just south of Concordia, was a pleasure.  One female Red-breasted Merganser was a highlight.

We joined the Burroughs Audubon folks for dinner and had an opportunity to touch base with many birding friends.  Scott Weidensaul's presentation on Snowy Owls lived up to expectations.

On the field trip yesterday to Loess Bluffs we were treated to good scope looks at two Black-necked Stilts and satisfying viewing of the Cinnamon Teal in Mallard pond as he kept close contact with a pair of Blue-winged Teal.  White-faced Ibis, Golden Plovers, Lesser and a few Greater Sandpipers, and some Pecs provided a shorebird "fix" and a low-flying Sandhill Crane added to the fun.

In short conversations on the field trip Scott talked about banding in Alaska and the questions the banding efforts might shed some light on.

We left the group at lunch, made a swing through Wallace State Park where a 30-35 mile wind and many people about affected the birding.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO