September 22-24, 2017, University of Cincinnati, OH, USA

The Editors of the graduate student journal Focus on German Studies in conjunction with the Graduate Student Association of the Department of German Studies at the University of Cincinnati present the Twenty-Second Annual Focus Graduate Student Conference:

The

“Epic”

Bertolt Brecht

Bertolt Brecht is well-known for his “episches Theater,” a style of theater meant to provoke thought and reason in the audience over a sense of feeling and empathy with the performers. Yet, many believed Brecht ultimately failed in this regard to create truly epic theatre. In this conference, we seek to push the boundaries of the nature of the epic style and to highlight its successes and future as a viable and powerful style of theater, by exploring a wide range of live performance and film and media, both by and inspired by, Brecht.

Specifically, we are interested in creating panels that discuss the epic style in Brecht’s works of Spoken Theater and Musicals, Operas, Cabaret, Radio-plays and Cantatas, The Use of Screens in Live Performance, and the Epic Style in Screenplays and Film Studies, in the Weimar Republic, his Exile, and the GDR. We would also like to have a panel on the Epic Style in the Twenty-First Century and/or the Future of Epic Theater.

Current graduate students are invited to send 250-word abstracts to Ellen C. Chew at [log in to unmask] by July 9th, 2017. Submissions are welcome from any discipline. Papers may be presented in either German or English.

Lesser-known works are always encouraged! Graduate Students in German Studies, European Studies, History, Musicology, Theater and Performance Studies, Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies, and Film and Media Studies are strongly encouraged to apply.

--
Ellen C. Chew
Conference Coordinator