Richard Seddon: The only thing i see in common among your quotes is Eliot.

======

Someone (Fish?) pointed out that the fact that a text has been interpreted in a given way proves that it _can be_ so interpreted. In other words, no interpretation can be _proved_ false. But as someone once said in a different context, "Everyone has the right to be a damn fool, but X abuses the privilege." If I were to assert that "We should like to know how that was done" referred to an episode of anal intercourse among Moore's 11th-grade classmates, you could not demonstrate that I was wrong, but you could dismiss me as a damn fool.

:--)

Carrol