*Tom Eliot — a very practical cat. **Did T.S. Eliot simply recycle every
personal experience into poetry?*

Daniel Swift

THE SPECTATOR

January 2015

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/01/tom-eliot-a-very-practical-cat-did-t-s-eliot-simply-recycle-every-personal-experience-into-poetry/

Recycling, yes. But with an imaginative transmutation of facts into
artifacts.

*Who is the third who walks always beside you? *

*When I count, there are only you and I together *

*But when I look ahead up the white road *

*There is always another one walking beside you *

*Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded *

*I do not know whether a man or a woman *
*—But who is that on the other side of you? *

What finally matters is what poetic use Eliot makes of a given experience.

CR