"Relations, unlike the things that are related, cannot be perceived but must
be thought."

Quoted from memory, and don't remember the precise source -- probably the
Grundrisse.

Consider a crude example. Hold an object, say a slice of bread, on your
hand. We say, the hand holds the bread above the table. But note "hold"
cannot be perceived; one perceives the hand; one perceives the Bread: But
the relation between hand and bread is a product of thought. My knowledge of
WCW's poetry is too slight for me to speculate on the relevance of this to
his work. It is clearly crucial to consideration of social or historical
relations.

Carrol

Carrol