Came upon these lines from THE WASTE LAND:

*You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;They called me the hyacinth girl."-
Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,  Your arms full, and
your hair wet, I could not  Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
 Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,  Looking into the heart of light, the
silence.*

http://slayground.livejournal.com/846903.html

Umpteen number of times, I've associated these lines with Gerontion's

*I that was near your heart was removed therefrom*
*To lose beauty in terror, terror in inquisition. *

To me it goes back to his willful desertion of Emily Hale in LA FIGLIA:

*She turned away, but with the autumn weather*
*Compelled my imagination many days,*
*Many days and many hours: *
*Her hair over her arms and her arms full of flowers.*

The echoes of this loss reverberate in the opening passage of BURNT NORTON:

*Footfalls echo in the memory*

*Down the passage which we did not takeTowards the door we never openedInto
the rose-garden. *

Not, however, without its final resolution in LITTLE GIDDING:

*This is the use of memory:For liberation - not less of love but
expandingOf love beyond desire, and so liberation From the future as well
as the past. *

Cheers,
CR