Eighteen birders spent a half-day in mild weather at RMBS.  A week an half
ago there was ice everywhere with the only open water a small area near the
Ellis Island parking lot with many birds crammed around it.  Yesterday there
was no ice and bird numbers had also dropped considerably.

Teal Pond had the expected Canada Geese and Ring-billed Gulls and also all
three species of mergansers.  We also saw nine Bald Eagles, two Red-tailed
Hawks and American Kestrels on lines and poles.  A Great Blue Heron in
fleeting sunshine was on the shore in Ellis Bay near Riverlands Way.  A
little further in another Kestrel was seen.  From the picnic shelter Ellis
Bay had nothing of interest and as we walked across the road to scan the
march a flock of about 60 Greater White-fronted Geese flushed up.  A distant
Harrier was spotted there.

Heron Pond had nothing of interest (it did have 6 Trumpeter Swans before the
walk started).  Scanning Ellis Bay from the Heron Pond area we found some
Common Goldeneyes.  We then got to watch staff from the Rivers Project
Office release a rehabilitated Trumpeter Swan into Heron Pond.  The bird had
been at Treehouse for a year or so recovering from lead poisoning.

A cooper's hawk was perched in the single big tree in the low area on the
approach to the damn.  Only birds at the dam were Ringed-billed and few
Herring Gulls.  Heading back on Riverlands way we stopped to scope the water
and found more mergansers, some Bufflehead and a single White Pelican.

From the Audubon Center two Black Ducks and two Trumpeter Swans were seen in
Ellis Bay.

Thank you to Pat, Dick and John for helping with leading.

Checklist at :

Several of the group then journeyed to Grafton to try for the Screech-Owl
but it was not there.

After lunch I found a Peregrine Falcon perched on the tower on the Alton
side of the Clark Bridge.  In Teal Pond I found two Gadwall that we hadn't
seen earlier.  A drive to the Cora Island parking lot added only a hoard of
White-crowned Sparrows and a single Blue Jay.

In a field near Portage Des Sioux I found 26 Trumpeter Swans.

Mike Grant

Chesterfield, MO