I had one Short-eared Owl sitting in a tree (I know, atypical behavior – it surprised me, too) about 3 pm this afternoon. It was between pools 11 and 12 at Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area. The area was predominately frozen so most species seen were sparrows flitting in the grasses or raptors, including 7 Bald Eagles with two on the nest and five sitting on the ice pecking at fish frozen in place.

The Sapp Tract (Pools 14 and 15) are still closed as refuge area but the second one way loop is now open and the restricted hours of access (formerly 1-3 pm)  at EBCA has now come to an end.

Good birding, Susan

Susan Hazelwood

Columbia, MO