I recall being so very impressed even as a comparative youth by his 'Ways of Seeing' TV series 40+ years ago and still have the little book thereof

He was a compelling, almost hypnotic, presenter

The title of course chimes entirely with the Proust observation, summarising the truism that reality and even truth as we perceive it is a subjective mental construct shaped as much by ourselves and our culture and upbringing and attitudes as by anything else

On 8 January 2017 at 12:52, Rickard A. Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 14:39:43 -0600, Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I vaguely remember a statement by Joseph Conrad to the effect (I think??) that he did not try to give us new things to see but, rather, new eyes to see with. Can anyone provide an accurate version of that comment.

Not Conrad but will this do?

Marcel Proust: "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."