It has been quite a while since Dave and I posted the following to the list. We continue to gather new members so we thought we’d send it out for informational purposes. Longtime members might also give it a skim just to remind yourself of list protocols. TIA for your cooperation.
-------------------------------

1.    Remember that MOBirds-L is used to discuss wild bird related activities and sightings, and things of interest to those who enjoy wild birds. We do tend to focus on Missouri's wild birds but that is not mandatory

2.    Advertising of commercial ventures is not allowed.

3.    Political discussions are not allowed.

4.    Please be polite and courteous. Keep flames and personal messages off the list.

5.    Always use your real name for signing your postings. We request that you include your email address, and city and county of residence, in your signature block. This enables other readers to "place" your bird sightings and to contact you if they have questions about your post.

6.    Give a descriptive Subject Line to all your postings. This makes life easier for other subscribers.

7.    Discuss only one subject per post. This makes it easier for other subscribers to file your message in the right folder.

8.    Keep your posts short and to the point. When you reply to a message include only the part of the previous message that is essential to the reader's understanding of your reply. Do not send "I agree" type messages; those are the ones with no additional content besides supporting a previous post.

9.    Show restraint in the number of posts you send. Generally no more than one per day, or no more than seven per week, is a reasonable guideline to follow. On the other hand, don't be bashful or afraid to post a message. All of us were new to the list at one point in time and we will understand if you make a mistake while you're learning.

A topic that sometimes comes up is solicitation of money through the list to support a not-for-profit. Dave and I have okayed that in the past. But, we wouldn’t want to see more than one or two posts for a single non-profit organization for the same event. Ditto with the announcing of non-profit meetings that require registration fees.

GOOD BIRDING
Susan and Dave

Susan Hazelwood
MOBirds-L Co-Owner
Columbia, MO

Archives<https://po.missouri.edu/archives/mobirds-l.html> / Subscription options<https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1> / ASM Website<http://mobirds.org> / Email the list owners<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

ASM Spring Meeting: May 2-4, 2014 in Jefferson City Details and Online Registration<http://www.mobirds.org/ASM/Meetings.aspx>