St. Louis Audubon Society Field Trip Report
Saturday, October 29, 2016
St. Charles County, MO

16 of us started at Hampton Lake in Busch CA where we spent the better part
of our day and where birding was most productive.  Stops there included the
Fallen Oak Trail, Lake 35, Lake 33 and the shorebird area east of there,
accessible only on foot.  We broke for lunch at the picnic pavilion by HQ
where it was actually quite pleasant; a nice break from the sun with a cool
breeze where we talked about birds, field guides, trips and food.

While the weather was relatively good for birders Saturday -- mostly sunny,
just a little breezy, but unseasonably warm (I recorded a temperature of 82F
at 1:30) -- I have to wonder how the southwest winds impacted bird movement.

After lunch we made brief stops at the Katy Trail Access and Lost Valley
Trail.  While at LVT we received a tragic report of a fatal accident on MO
94, closing the highway to the east so, by consensus, ended early to give
folks extra time to navigate detours on the way home.

Thanks to Mike Grant, Bernie Favara and Pat Lueders for helping and spotting
and to Susan Eaton for the homemade baked treats.  I don't know what she
calls them but they're very good.

Here's the full list with notes:

Mike Thelen
Univ City, StL Cnty, MO