Christine: There are now 2 separate species.
The Black Shouldered Kite (Elanus axillaris) is an Australian bird
Our U.S. Bird found in South Texas formerly was the Black Shouldered, but
the name was changed.
Our Texas bird is now the White Tailed Kite (Elanus leucurus).
It is confusing for sure.:-)
Dave Pierce
St. Louis County

--
D. Pierce
Senior Dogs 4 Seniors

 “To the world you are just one person; to a rescued pet you are the
WORLD.”

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/