Deadline extended: October 14, 2016

Northeast Modern Language Association Convention
March 23-26, 2017; Baltimore, Maryland

Through Other Lenses: Literary Productions of Minorities in the
German-speaking World

Gastarbeiterliteratur, Ausländerliteratur, Migrantenliteratur, Minoritätenliteratur: All of these terms have been applied to the literary productions of minority groups in the German-speaking world. While these labels may have been productive in the past, they are limited and limiting in their usefulness for the analysis of the most recent works of minority authors. This is precisely because the terms focus more on the authors’ heritage and migration experiences rather than the literary works themselves.This session invites 300 word abstracts for proposals that employ other lenses, such as politics or gender, through which we can view and interpret these works so that our focus is not restricted to the biographies or ethnic backgrounds of the authors.

Please contact Holly Brining ([log in to unmask]) with your submissions or for further information.

Holly Brining, PhD
Assistant Professor of German
Dept. of Foreign Languages and Literatures
University of Minnesota Duluth

"We are here to change the world with small acts of thoughtfulness done daily rather than with one great breakthrough." Harold S. Kushner
******************* The German Studies Call for Papers List Editor: Sean Franzel Assistant Editor: Olaf Schmidt Sponsored by the University of Missouri Info available at: http://grs.missouri.edu/resources/gerlistserv.html