Deadline extended: October 14, 2016

Northeast Modern Language Association Convention
March 23-26, 2017; Baltimore, Maryland

Through Other Lenses: Literary Productions of Minorities in the
German-speaking World

*Gastarbeiterliteratur,* *Ausländerliteratur, Migrantenliteratur,
Minoritätenliteratur*: All of these terms have been applied to the literary
productions of minority groups in the German-speaking world. While these
labels may have been productive in the past, they are limited and limiting
in their usefulness for the analysis of the most recent works of minority
authors. This is precisely because the terms focus more on the authors’
heritage and migration experiences rather than the literary works
themselves.This session invites 300 word abstracts for proposals that
employ other lenses, such as politics or gender, through which we can view
and interpret these works so that our focus is not restricted to the
biographies or ethnic backgrounds of the authors.

Please contact Holly Brining ([log in to unmask]) with your submissions or
for further information.

Holly Brining, PhD
Assistant Professor of German
Dept. of Foreign Languages and Literatures
University of Minnesota Duluth

"We are here to change the world with small acts of thoughtfulness done
daily rather than with one great breakthrough." Harold S. Kushner