Another satisfying, late September weekend at Lake of the Ozarks State Park has ended, and I'm reminded again why I intend never to miss it.

Mark Haas, it was a job well done. Thank you for all the work that went into making it all run smoothly.  Mark now replaces Shari Harden as President of ASM and Louise Wilkinson is our new Vice President.

Shari, thank you for having served well as president.  Much of the work is out of sight and unsung, but appreciated.

I especially likhearing from ornithology students.   Brian Hidden has collected data which points to the extreme importance of private wetlands as a resource for migrating dabbling ducks. Kyle Kuechle is measuring effects of neonicotinoids on birds.

William Orellana and Katinka Domen of Beaks and Peaks in Honduras gave us lots of reasons to put their country high on our lists of places to go. I am struck by their dedication to managing their business in ways that will improve the lives of the Honduran people and conserve natural resources.

Danny Brown, Missouri wildlife photographer, shared closeup views of birds and other critters that few of us have the ability or patience to experience on our own.  His respect and love of his subjects shows in his photos and in his voice when he talks about them.

ASM awarded to Brad Jacobs the Rudolf Bennitt Award, our highest honor, reserved for members who have made significant contributions toward the organization and its mission.

The weekend bird list has over 100 species, including many migrating warblers, but not a single Brown-headed Cowbird, which would have been a lifer for William and Katinka. Not even Brad could find one!

It's not too early to add next year's meeting on the last full weekend in September to your calendar.

June Newman

Carroll County