> On Sep 26, 2016, at 15:12 , Mike Grant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I have noticed a marked decrease in RTHU activity at my feeders today compared to just yesterday. Guess that nice front of cool air got them moving.

At least three RTHU here today, two I banded over the weekend plus one new arrival. Our summer breeding adults are long gone, and very few of their chicks remain; nearly all the hummingbirds seen in the state for the past few weeks have been passing through from farther north.

Cold fronts will continue to deliver new hummers for another couple of weeks, the river of migrants essentially drying up by mid October. But don't take all your humfeeders down yet. There's always the chance of a visit by a Rufous or other western hummingbird enroute to winter quarters in the Gulf states; some will remember the first state record Allen's Hummingbird I hosted for a few days around Thanksgiving 2008. A little sugar is a small price to gamble on a cool hummer! And, of course, let us know if you get one...and please let me know if you'd like it captured, identified, and banded.

Lanny Chambers
Fenton, MO