Years ago there was a note published on Great Blue Herons capturing and eating Black Rails at high tide in San Francisco Bay. Herons and Egrets are very opportunistic feeders.

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau

From: Chuck Clark <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2016 10:52 PM
Subject: Green Heron Eats Hummingbird

Seeing a Green Heron land on the Hummingbird feeder arch today, I grabbed my camera and starting taking pics.  Then I started a video.  I have one video where the Heron actually grabs a Hummer, crunches on him for awhile and then drops it.  The next video, it actually eats the Hummer.  This entire sequence has us baffled.  Has anyone ever heard of this happening?  Texas County Missouri.