Found a juvenile yellow-crowned night heron in the wooded pond between the main road and the distribution channel this afternoon. I was fooled by a juvenile black-crowned night heron last year, but I am more confident of this one (but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise).

Bird was standing in the water with it's long neck extended. Long yellow legs, grayish brown with small white spots on the back, fine streaking on the breast. Long heavy bill, mostly black except bluish at the base. Red eye.

I watched the bird for about 10 minutes, then turned my back and it was gone. Did not relocate it during the rest of my trip.

John Besser
Columbia MO

--
John Besser