-----Original Message-----
From: englishtalk-l informal English Department chatter
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of De Santis,
Christopher
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2016 11:46 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Fwd: English Institute Meeting at University of Chicago- September
16 and 17, 2016

	Begin forwarded message:

	From: Lex Nalley <[log in to unmask]>

	Subject: English Institute Meeting at University of Chicago-
September 16 and 17, 2016

	Date: July 15, 2016 at 11:28:05 AM CDT

	Cc: The English Institute <[log in to unmask]>

	Dear Friends of the English Institute,

	We are so looking forward to seeing you at the 75th Anniversary
Meeting of the English Institute, to be held outside of the Eastern U. S.
for the first time in its history, at the University of Chicago, September
16th and 17th, 2016. The exciting line-up of speakers on this year's topic,
"Time," is perhaps our most diverse ever:

	Mark Goble, University of California-Berkeley
	"How Slow is Now?"
	 On slow motion and problems of temporality after modernism

	Donna Jones, University of California-Berkeley
	"On Immortality"
	 On the time of life and the quality of life

	Eleanor Johnson, Columbia University
	"Feeling Time in the Middle Ages"
	 On how the sensation of time itself can save your soul

	Mark McGurl, Stanford University
	"Being and Time-Management"
	 On modernist narrative and the ordering of existence

	Paul Saint-Amour, University of Pennsylvania
	"Critical Futurities"
	 On a poetics and politics of futurity

	Rei Terada, University of California-Irvine
	"The Immovable and the Ongoing"
	 On exigency versus history in the later films of Shinsuke Ogawa

	Ted Underwood, University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
	"A Distant Reading of Moments"
	 On tensions between distant reading and the crystallizing moment in
literary criticism

	For the full schedule of the two-day event please visit our website
at:

	http://englishinstitute.yale.edu/time-2016-conference

	To reserve your spot and your lunch on Saturday it is important that
you register at:

	https://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1835064
<https://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1835064>

	A list of Chicago-area hotels can be found here:
http://visit.uchicago.edu/accommodations.shtml.
	Sponsoring institutions should remember to nominate a graduate
student for a travel award. Please send queries to Susan Bianconi at:

	The English Institute is a collaborative event, and all faculty and
student attendees at the conference will be listed on the website as
participants. This is a new initiative designed to enable participants to
make use of any conference travel funds available at their home
institutions. We particularly encourage Mid-western schools--members and
non-members alike--to take advantage of the new proximity of the EI. I
myself will be rounding up a convoy of faculty and students from Columbus,
Ohio to attend! We are very excited about of the new graduate-student lead
seminar to be held Sunday morning following the conference, and hope to see
many of your students there.

	I would be very grateful if you would forward this email to your
departmental lists. Thank you for your continuing support of this unique
intellectual enterprise.

	See you in Chicago!

	All my very best,

	Sandra Macpherson
	Chair of the Board of Supervisors, The English Institute

is an informal discussion list of faculty, students, staff, alumni, and
other interested parties in the English Department at Illinois State
University. Posts to this list do not represent the views of the English
department or Illinois State University. All posters should follow the
University Policy on Appropriate Use
<http://www.policy.ilstu.edu/technology/9-2.shtml>.