I'm not endorsing or explaining any of this: I'm just noting that "the
Perfect Life" is a common idea in mysticism, and Eliot admired the mystics
who wrote of it. This does not come from Gordon but from all those mystics
Eliot read and quoted.

See below: emphasis mine.

[image: Padre Pio - The Mystic]

[image: topright.jpg (20943 bytes)]

*Mysticism In General*

*A*ccording to the doctrine of the Fathers and Doctors of the Church, the
progress of growth in holiness and union with God in prayer rises together.
Beginning with the most simple and human practices the person is
transformed, supernaturalized, in their exterior life with man and in their
interior life with God. This progress can be summarized as being emptied of
self and being filled with God, or putting off the old man (Adam) and
putting on the new man (Christ), or simply, conformity to Christ. It
involves acts on the part of the Christian, but even more so the initiative
and grace of God to raise the person to the heights of holiness, to which
all are called but which few seem to achieve. Padre Pio is one who answered
that call.

[image: St. Francis]

*Growth in the Spiritual Life.*

The Second Vatican Council in its Dogmatic Constitution on the Church *Lumen
Gentium* (Ch. V) affirmed what the Church has always taught, that every
Christian is called to holiness. *Jesus said "be perfect as your heavenly
father is perfect" *(Mt 5:48
<https://www.ewtn.com/v/bible/search.asp?abbr=Matt&ch=5&bv1=48&ev1=48>),
yet few seem to know how to go about that. Padre Pio, however, following
the example of the saints, climbed this mystical ladder that leads to God (Gen
28:10-12
<https://www.ewtn.com/v/bible/search.asp?abbr=Gen&ch=28&bv1=10&ev1=12>).