On a late overcast morning today, I continued my quest for Grasshopper or Henslow's  sparrows in the St. Louis area. Walking the gravel road accessed by Hwy. D behind Mt. Doom (the rock pile behind the Weldon Spring Site Interpretive Center), I came across several singing Henslows' (hard to say exactly how many). I had five individual sitings of the birds singing while perching. I wished I had brought my scope!

On our SLAS field trip two weeks ago, there were none to be found there.

Bob Bailey
St. Louis, MO