Dear Pete,

"Taken aback" is an understatement for what we feel. (The "we" is obviously not his supporters, but it seems to include just about all of the press now as well as anyone who actually considers what he is saying.) He is dangerous.

As for voting, I'm with E. M. Forster: "Two cheers for democracy"--and two cheers for voting. There isn't any other way to get leaders who are not authoritarians--even if the people do also vote wrong sometimes.
Nancy