Rickard A. Parker writes:

Marjorie Perloff> The translation of St. John Perse's Anabasis (in Volume Two) might be omitted altogether, since translation is, after all, another story and belongs, perhaps more properly, with Eliot's critical prose, especially his essays on Paul Valéry.

Every couple of years I try a translation of a poem and I find it quite a challenge. I can't see why Perloff doesn't see a translation of a poem as a poem. I've often wondered why Eliot didn't didn't do more translation as an exercise.

--------

It is curious. Golding's Metamorphoses, Dryden's Aeneid, Pope's Iliad, Binyon's Comedy are all superb English poems. And then there are Pope's Imitations of Horace, Johnson's London & Vanity of Human Wishes, Pound's imitation of Propertius: not exactly translations, but quite wonderful.

Carrol

P.S. In coffee shop chatter at the u of Michigan, 1959, Frank Copley commented on Pound's Canto 1 that it "Out-Homered Homer."