On 6/3/2016 8:36 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
> Why is the lead editorial in today's WSJ not a poem? (I haven't read it, and you can pick some other editorial if you prfer.) The challenge is serious: I don't believe you can do it.

     LOL, I'm guessing it's not a novel either.....thanks for the offer
but no thanks, sounds a bit like a stacked academic exercise, and
without the prerequisite definition of "success" to boot! On the other
hand, if you're inclined to say why it IS a poem, I'm all ears....

     In purely observational mode, I read recently a quote from TSE that
he could find no absolute difference between poetry and prose, except
that one is composed in the rhythm of poetry and the other in the rhythm
of prose. Without either assenting or dissenting, the question then is
what would that imply for poetry, for prose, and for the differing
critical apparatus traditionally applied to each? I'd like to think it
wouldn't imply anything different from the standard issue as it's come
to us. But Eliot might not agree.

Ken A