Folks,

When your list owners say that rudeness and personal attacks have no place on this list, we DO NOT MEAN feel free to be as rude as you darned well please in private. If you are sending something privately because what you have to say is too abusive to post to MOBirds-L, you can bet that it’s too abusive, period. Being rude will not persuade or convince anyone that you are right. It can accomplish nothing other than upsetting someone. And if that’s your intent, you might ought to rethink your mission.

Seriously, we are all on the same side here. No one on this list is out to hurt or kill or endanger birds. Our small differences of opinion about what is the best way to observe them should make this community more interesting and even educational, not serve as an excuse for rudeness or bullying. If you think someone is birding “the wrong way,” please show them at least the bare minimum of courtesy to assume their intentions are just as noble as yours, even when you think their actions may be in error. Discuss the matter civilly, keeping in mind that persuasion is likely to be much more effective than punishment. And please, somewhere in the back of your mind, keep the possibility that maybe, just maybe, there’s more than one way to watch a bird.

Dave Scheu

MOBirds-L list co-owner

St. Louis, MO