Morning, all.

I had a great day in Forest Park where I saw all but one of the heron and egret species we get in the park. Of the many highlights was seeing not just one Little Blue Heron but 8+ !    Of the heron and egret species this is the one I have always seen the least.  In the early-mid 2000s I would see it every year but only occasionally.  Since then it has been a case of seeing maybe one during one summer and then not for the next summer or two or more.

I was in the Steinberg Prairie area and after seeing some Cedar Waxwings in a Mulberry tree, I started with one Snowy Egret and then two Black-crowned Night Herons and the first Little Blue Heron.  A Snowy Egret chased off these two heron speciess but then a Yellow-Crowned Heron came flying in landing right in front of me.  I got to see it hunt successfully and then the Little Blue Heron do so as well.

The fish hatchery ponds were my next destination and I soon scared up three Little Blue Herons!  I had never seen more than one on any given day and here were three.  They settled back down and I was able to watch them hunt and perch near to each other.  They were in the largest of the ponds in this complex and this pond is not a hatchery.  I saw some more Cedwar Waxwings in some Bald Cypresses between this pond and Cypress Lake.

I headed back to my car and was talking with Brenda Hente when a flight of five Little Blue Herons flying over us!  My new record of three was happily and beautifully eclipsed.

The Twin Lots near the Visitor and Education Center again have nesting Green Herons in the Bradford Pears that border the sidewalk which bisects the parking lot. Near Pagoda Circle I saw my second Great Egret of the day and later I saw another Little Blue Heron flying over this roundabout.

I try to make Sundays my longer day in the park to see other habitats and critters and I am glad I do so.  Here are some photos of yesterday's highlights (not counting the Great Horned Owls!):

https://goo.gl/photos/CXkC9KDQniXpjHiF8

Cheers,
Mark

Mark H.X. Glenshaw