I recall a conversation once with someone who had trapped, tagged, and
released vultures in an area with both species that Black Vultures are far,
far more aggressive than Turkey Vultures towards creatures of all sizes.

Here is an article about the two different species that had the following
to say about Black Vulture behavior: They routinely eat nestling birds,
from seabirds to herons, and they congregate in large numbers on tropical
beaches to harvest hatchling sea turtles. Eggs are eaten as well, from bird
to reptile. Newborn mammals such as pigs and calves may be killed, or the
afterbirth may be consumed. There are reports of black vultures snipping
the tails off small mammals, and having handled this species and seen how
it pulls on anything stringlike I can well believe it.

 Since the heart of the Fish Crow's range is well within the heart of the
Black Vulture's range, I would imagine there has been a strong past genetic
selection for knowing the difference between Black Vultures and other
vultures or raptors, even if a Missouri Fish Crow is not likely to
encounter a Black Vulture.

Phil Wire
Troy, MO