Having not put in a real day in the field since last June, I was eager to get out and do some birding this AM!

BK Leach held few shorebirds, but did have several singing Sedge Wrens, a Sora, and a Mississippi Kite carrying nesting materials at the river access. A few lingering sparrows like Swamp and Lincoln's padded the list total a bit. Shorebirds and waterfowl were scarce.

Cuivre River State Park was hopping with birds, even at 11 AM. The oddest sight of the day was about 15-20 Bobolinks in the woods, roughly 200 feet from the edge of the nearest field near the park entrance. They were perched in the very top of the canopy. My brain couldn't place the song correctly and I kept trying to make the racket into orioles or other icterids, Once I got a good look, sure enough, all Bobolinks. Very, very odd! They cleared out pretty quickly, making me think they had not been there long.

More expected forest visitors included Golden-winged Warblers, a Gray-cheeked Thrush, and a few Black-throated Greens. There were two Cerulean Warblers (and a few "imposter" Parulas) singing from Big Creek roughly 1/4 mile north of the bridge.

While gassing up the car at the BP at 47 and Lincoln in Troy, I heard an odd chattering. Grabbed the binoculars from the car and it was a Western Kingbird bossing around a robin.

Having added up the day list about noon and seeing I was at 98 for the morning, I let compulsivity take over and drove around town to pick up  a few in-town birds like House Finch to hit 100. It was a very pleasant day to be about.

Phil Wire
Troy, MO