I picked up 151 species birding several places in NC-NW MO. I started at Pershing SP morning of 5/1, where I picked few warblers and sparrows. Northern waterthrushes were conspicuous. Two Golden-winged warblers were a nice addition. There was a solitary Sandpiper at one of the ponds.
Swan Lake had few shorebirds (nothing spectacular) and few songbirds.
Squaw Creek was very birdy yesterday with 16 shorebird species and others. Some highlights:
American Avocet - 2
Willet (Western) - 10
Hudsonian Godwit - 1
White-rumped Sandpiper - 2
Long-billed Dowitcher - 220 (I think this is my personal high count for this species)
Short-billed Dowitcher - 2
Caspian and Forster's Terns
Franklin's Gull
White-faced Ibis - 23
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Sandhill Crane - 2 (vocalizing)
Sora
Great-tailed Grackle
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Harris's Sparrow - still quite a few around

Big Lake SP (Holt Co.) had a pair of Ospreys and a Green Heron.

I returned to Squaw Creek today to find much less of a shorebird diversity, but few other species that I did not get yesterday including:
Eared Grebe - 2
American Bittern - 2 (vocalizing in the Mallard Marsh in the early morning)
Red-breasted Merganser - 2
Prothonotary Warbler - 1 (to me this is a rare species on the refuge - this is only my 2nd sighting of it here)
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 54 (these were everywhere, so this is likely un undercount)
Clay-colored Sparrow - 2 (vocalizing a lot)
Harris's Sparrow - 13
Sedge Wren - 3 (singing non-stop at the Pelican Pool and near the boardwalk).

At Bob Brown CA (Holt Co.) I added:
Virginia Rail - 1
Solitary Sandpiper - 8
There were quite a few shorebirds (nothing outstanding, but a nice diversity)
All full lists are on ebird.

Nice to get away for a little bit.

--
Peter Kondrashov