If this hasn’t been said yet, the end of April through mid-May is an annual normal time for lots of white-crowned sparrows to cover Missouri lawns and pastures in large numbers. It is a movement of migrants from farther south heading north to their summer range.

Pine siskins in many years are also present in the same time frame foraging in newly budding/flowering shrubs and trees and at feeders, and mixed in with goldfinches. The same late April to mid-May time is the season for their movement also. In some years Pine Siskins will stay and nest near a bird feeder in a coniferous tree, such as a Norway spruce, hemlock, of fir. Others who have had a pair linger after a “siskin” year might relate how long they stayed or if they attempted to nest. I suspect we don’t hear about all these events.

Brad

Brad Jacobs

Missouri Department of Conservation

P.O. Box 180