This is a most salient topic as regards my own personal life here just now, and I wasn't at least  consciously following any Eliotic footsteps here:

My own second wedding took place in secret at 10AM on Monday this week quite far away from home at St George's Hall in the city of Liverpool. At the ceremony were just four people including self and wife to be. The obligatory two witnesses were randomly chosen on the day: a Moldovan exile staff member of the hotel we stayed at, opposite and a member of the caterinfg staff from St George's Hall.

Thanks largely to the spirit generosity and kindness of the inhabitants o that great city, it was a memorable day after which I probably feel a bit like Eliot did

On 12 May 2016 at 05:28, Chanan Mittal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
To me Valerie's version is, as they say, truth from the horse's mouth.

CR

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I reviewed Tarantula's Web Time Present. What I noted was that many situations have been described differently by Eliot and others. I am not sure there is, as of now, any definitive account because there are so many. But it may be that later letters will clarify it.

Regardless, it does seem that the marriage was a shock to both Hayward and Trevelyan, and of course a total shock to Emily Hale. As Eliot kept it a secret to the last possible time, do you think, Tim, that a day or two affects how you view it?
Nancy

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:47 PM, Peter Dillane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
What would Smart be getting at with the term "official version" do you suppose? I've been ploughing through the most recent letters volume and he seems to have been a punctilious man at the extremes of the term.

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Materer, Timothy J.
Sent: Thursday, 12 May 2016 6:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: TSE's second wedding

Most accounts of Eliot’s second wedding suggest that he left John Hayward’s flat to go to the early morning ceremony, though a story in the Guardian claims that he left from the Atheneaum club (http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2009/may/24/ts-eliot-valerie-fletcher-scrapbooks).   Lyndall Gordon also thinks that Eliot left from the Hayward-Eliot flat, and states that when Eliot did not return from church on 10 January 1957, the date of the ceremony, Hayward thought of calling the police.

But John Smart in Tarantula’s Web states (1) Hayward told Helen Gardner that Eliot gave him a letter notifying him of the departure before spending the night with his lawyer, and Smart also states (2) Hayward told Christopher Sykes that [Eliot] gave him the letter early on the morning of the wedding. Smart mentions a third, “official version” from Valerie that “Eliot met Hayward two days before the wedding and had a long talk in Hayward’s room whilst Valerie waited outside.”

Mrs. Eliot’s version sounds right, and I suspect Eliot spent not one but two nights after his departure at a friend’s house. Does anyone have thoughts about this interesting (to me) biographical issue?