The view of Pinion is one of many, and he has no inside track. Eliot's friends had contrasting views, and it is clear that the friendship was not one-sided. They were friends for 30 years, and Hayward was far more than an obligation. Smart's bio of Hayward is based in a great deal of material that has largely been left out.

No doubt Hayward was jealous, and he had become possessive, but he had been a major source of support for Eliot--both personal and professional (he helped Eliot edit and helped him with the idioms of England) for years. For example, see the discussion of the editing of 4Q.

Some of Eliot's friends were pretty negative about the way he treated Hayward. Yet the story is complicated by the contrasting views. So what Pinion says is not in any was just fact.
Nancy