I’ve studied TSE's year in America in detail, and I can assure you that his lectures and readings did not always appeal to his audiences.  --  Jim Loucks

As Volume 6 of the Letters shows, the same goes for the tea parties, especially when he didn’t like the students. And then there was the time when a distractingly pretty girl showed up…

Questions for Jim Louks: How far along is your chronology? (I see that Haffenden depends on your research in a few places in Volume 6.) Did you know about Eliot staying with Collin Brooks the two nights before his wedding to Valerie, which is documented in the letters recently acquired by Washington U.?

Tim

From: Chanan Mittal <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2016 10:08 PM
Subject: Re: TS Eliot - a 1931 portrait

The 1931 portrait vis-a-vis Eliot's timeline

1930
"Ash Wednesday," a poem about Eliot's religious awakening, is published.

1932
A Year at Harvard
Eliot accepts a yearlong teaching position at Harvard, his alma mater. The professional opportunity also gives him a break from his failing marriage to Vivienne, who remains in England while Eliot travels to Massachusetts. Eliot is instantly a well-liked professor, frequently inviting students over for tea.

In the 1931 portrait, Eliot looks confident, reassured.

CR