I went up to Rocky Fork Lakes CA in northern Boone County this evening in hopes of some nightjars.  While I was waiting for dusk, Kathleen Anderson arrived and so we waited together.  At about 8:10 pm, a Chuck-will's-widow started calling from the west side of the big lake and about 10-15 minutes later, an Eastern Whip-poor-will called from the NE side of the lake.  After Kathleen left, I listened longer and could tell there were 2 Whip-poor-will's, one closer and one farther away and not calling in unison.  Also heard an American Woodcock calling.  It was a nice evening to be out.
Good birding!
Greg LeonardColumbia, Boone County