Margie & I spent the weekend in Cassville and enjoyed three days of birding southern Barry County.  On Friday, 69 species, 19 warbler species, including 23 Ovenbirds, 8 Worm-eating, 10 Louisiana Waterthrush, 3 Northern Waterthrush, 13 Blue-winged, 39 Black & White, 4 Tennessee, 2 Orange-crowned, 7 Nashville, 13 Kentucky, 1 Common Yellowthroat, 27 Hooded, 15 American Redstart, 5 Cerulean, 36 Northern Parula, 3 Pine, 18 Yellow-rumped, 11 Yellow-throated, and 3 Prairie.

We were joined on Saturday and Sunday by my brother Dave, and we enjoyed adding Yellow-breasted Chat, Prothonotary and Palm Warblers to the list.   On Saturday evening after dinner, we went out to listen for night birds, and we were treated to singing Whip-poor-wills and Chuck-wills-widows at the same time.

At one point Sunday morning, we stopped to view a Cerulean Warbler along Sugar Camp Scenic Drive in the Mark Twain National Forest south of Roaring River State Park.  Once we got out, we began counting the warbler songs we were hearing.  It included seven species, including Cerulean, Hooded, Worm-eating, Tennessee, Black & White, Northern Parula, and Ovenbird all at once.  Audio overload, but the best kind.

We were surprised to hear and see so many Scarlet Tanagers and so few Summer Tanagers.  Usually, it's the other way around.  Also heard a Barred Owl and saw a Great-horned Owl getting mobbed by crows.  Our total count for the weekend was 79 species.

Jerry & Margie Williams
Republic, Greene County, Mo.