Linda Childers and I went from Neosho up to Four Rivers and Schell-Osage
on Thursday, April 21.  Between us we have several decades of birding
experiences around the US, but still don't consider ourselves experts
since there is always more to learn.  This is our best effort at ID and
counting:

Going in on TT, nothing on the borrow pit.  Rest of roads leading into
FRCA: crow, h. C. wren, h. titmouse, h. bluejay, about 10 savannah
sparrow, 2 killdeer, horned lark, 4 meadowlark, 5 lark sparrow
In FRCA: cardinal, h. bluejay, phoebe, GBH 14, meadowlark 1, TV, bl-w
teal 57, cormorants 9, coot 511, shoveler 20, great egret 12, gadwall 8,
RWBB 20, C. geese 9, yellowlegs sp. 16 (too far to ID which sp.),
greater yellowlegs 15, lesser 5, p-b grebe 3, killdeer 2, barn sw. 1,
tree swallow 9, empty eagle nest at west end loop from hdqtrs., solitary
s-p 1, least s-p 5, pectoral s-p 1+?, Forster's tern 1, swamp sparrow 1,
RHWP 1 (and lots and lots of turtles)

On way out a tree full of RWBB and snake crossing the road, more RWBB on
Artillery Road, bluejay; at boardwalk in DU Marsh: RWBB 2, bl-w teal 6,
GBH 1, shoveler 6, gadwall 6; 4 crows on TT

Going through Horton Bottoms h. bluejay, h. titmouse, on lake cormorant
1, GBH 1

On gravel road 1775 just south of Flintlock and west of Hwy M: about 20
Am. golden plover, possibly more down a small dip, including at least
one beginning to have breeding plumage (in field with BB flock)

See next entry for Schell-Osage CA report following FRCA.

Ronda Sherrill, from Newton County, Neosho, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/